Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Bowers Beach

Bowers Beach is one of those very small, unassuming little fishing villages that remind one of a different time.
As many times as I've traveled up and down the state, I had never stopped there, but only knew of Bowers Beach as a spot on the map and a headline in the newspaper.
 Last week, coming back from a downstate meeting, I decided to pull off the road just to see Bowers Beach. It's only 3 or so miles from Route 1, tucked away along the shores of the Delaware Bay.
I pulled over next to this channel to look around, and a man with a dog started talking and telling me about the gale force winds they'd had earlier in the day-- it was hard to imagine since it was so very calm when I stopped... 
 ...that very same man told me to check out this one-hundred year-old schooner rusting away at the dock. I'm sure I must have been trespassing on somebody's property to look at it, but oh well, nobody there to ask!

 Don't think this rusting schooner is a tourist attraction...
The dock site was in disarray, likely the effect of somebody not knowing what to do with this relic or lacking the money to do anything...
Bowers Beach is tucked along the Delaware River, and these beach front homes do have a nice view of the water... although this day it all looked very quiet and not very exciting...

 But I could imagine this to be quite nice in the summer. 
And that was my short visit to Bowers Beach! Another one checked off the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment