Monday, November 4, 2013

All Souls Weekend: Remembering A Dear Friend

Last Friday was November 1, and in the Catholic Church, this is All Souls Day. During mass we reflect on those who have gone before us, especially in the last year. Just a few weeks ago I learned that a dear friend from long ago passed away. Maureen Garabis was someone I met when we moved to Upper Arlington, Ohio in the 1970s. I had just moved to Ohio because of my husband's job. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and knew no one. I started attending local La Leche League meetings to prepare for my first childbirth experience, and was inspired by the dedication of those women to embrace motherhood. Maureen, and other LLL friends were there for me when I was struggling with breastfeeding a new-born, and through La Leche League, we became friends and co-leaders. I connected with Maureen because we had something in common, we were both immigrants to this country. Maureen was an English major in college, and I had an English minor. We both married men from different backgrounds and were constantly adjusting to cultural differences. We both believed in motherhood as an important vocation in life!

Maureen was someone we all looked up to because eventually she had nine children (I knew her when she had babies 3 through 6), and we all marveled at her stamina with every pregnancy! She was one of those women who used to have terrible morning sickness in the first trimester, and most women probably would have stopped having more babies if they had to endure what she did. Maureen introduced me to the League of Saint Gerard, and this sustained me in those years when I was having problems. Maureen was an exceptional person, and I was fortunate to have known her. 
Rest in peace, dear Maureen!

No comments:

Post a Comment