Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pablo Neruda & Human Existence

“Someday, somewhere - anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life.” Pablo Neruda

"reality is an invention of observers" 

My introduction to Pablo Neruda was in my doctoral program at GWU in 2006, when we studied Maturana and Varela, and I was the TA for our course in Chile called Human Existence. The intention of our study abroad course was to actually meet with Maturana, a Chilean philosopher. However, his popularity came at a steep price, and shortly before our departure, we knew we likely wouldn't meet with him because of his price. We went to study in the mountains of Chile anyway, led by Dr. Clyde Croswell, our fearless former Marine turned professor who led us in a quest to examine who we are and what our purpose in life was. 

Maturana introduced us to autopoeisis, an autonomous and operationally closed system, much like a living cell, which replicates itself because the system is self-sustaining. I'm simplifying this, of course, because i still don't understand all of autopoeisis, but it sure was fun studying it and questioning who we are and who we want to be. 
I celebrated a birthday in Chile, and when I shut my eyes, my favorite image is of Pablo Neruda's house, which is somewhat ironic, given that I was quite hungover the day we toured. 
Neruda built his house in segments along the ocean, and loved to collect glass cast up from the sea. This is the image imprinted in my brain, and when I can't sleep, this comes to mind. 
This is the view from Neruda's house... this is the picture I place in my mind's eye when I think of perfection! I believe that who we become is formed by the mental images we hold... so I hold this mental image of beauty and wait to see how it plays a role, if any, in my autopoetic system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment