Saturday, November 10, 2012

Socks from Santa- Thoughts About the Holidays

The Nor'easter charged up the East Coast earlier this week and added insult to injury as North Jersey and NYC were blanketed with snow. Even my sister in Cape Cod had to rely on her generator to keep the lights on during those high winds. The irony of this is that I am teaching a new course in emergency management this semester! What timing! Those affected by the storms are in the process of cleaning up and salvaging what they can... Sophia was basically, as she likes to call it... "homeless" for 10 days while she crashed with friends in Harlem. Several of my Ripkanista friends have been without power for 12 days and trying to get back to some semblance of "normal." New York is an amazing place... the subways are running again! I never would have imagined that this 100+ year-old subway system could withstand the flooding. So now it occurred to me that we have just one weekend before Thanksgiving... which means a lot of getting ready to do. To put myself in the mood Santa began her socks-and-underwear shopping today!
My son said that he told his friends he has never bought socks or underwear ever in his life because Santa brings them every year! My girls are very picky about socks, and I have to have one of them with me to pick them out, or they write a detailed description about what to get and where to get it. In many ways the boys are so much easier! The socks are all stowed in the back of my closet... now let's hope that on Christmas Eve I will remember where I've put them.

No comments:

Post a Comment