Friday, April 5, 2013

Road Trip-- Day 4


Day 4 Homeward Bound

I woke up out of a deep sleep, startled because I thought we might have overslept. Then, I heard noises and realized that Ed was in the bathroom. I grabbed my Nook to check the time, and it was 5:19 AM. Time to get ready and get back on the road!

Yes, I did say this was a quick road trip, didn’t I? It’s amazing how just a few days away can seem like so much longer—I feel as though I’ve been gone for weeks! A change in scenery does change the mind and how one views things. It can also bring clarity of thought to Lots of situations.

We’re driving home via Virginia Beach today—hoping to avoid the traffic which begins at Richmond and never seems to let up until we get home. We’re plan to drive by the house where Sophia was born, and just check out the neighborhood.

We’re both looking forward to seeing our Fawnie again- I’m sure she missed us terribly, as we missed her!

Unfortunately, my laptop’s battery is dying and so I will have to finish telling the story of our journey when I get back home.

Recharged from home…

Home. The return trip via the Eastern Shore was only 1 mile but 2 hours longer than driving up I-95. However, the entire drive was much more relaxing. Traffic going up the Eastern Shore is practically non-existent!

After experiencing a huge traffic delay due to “road work” on I-95 between Roanoke Rapids and Emporia, we grabbed a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in the Hilltop area of VA Beach…


...then drove past our old house in Alanton. Sophia was born there, and so she’s a Virginian! The neighborhood is just as gorgeous as ever… sigh… it was an idyllic place to live!
Here's our old house... the new owners have added brown trim where it used to be cream colored trim, but I do believe it's still the same roof! The new was new when we bought it in 1983. This house was built in the 1960s by the wife of Navy Captain Eugene McDaniels, who was one of the longest prisoners, captured and held POW in the Viet Nam war. He was in the cell next to John McCain. While her husband was held prisoner, his wife built this house waiting for his return.
The street is lined with dogwood trees on both sides of the road, and when the time came each spring, the dogwoods flowered and created a fantasy wonderland in Alanton! We bought the house in 1983, and Sophia was born there in 1984. It was a comfortable, "sticks-and-bricks" built house, and was most definitely the best quality-built house we ever owned. What I loved about living here was that everyone in my family came to visit us, and we had room for them all!
 
We crossed over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, a 23 mile stretch of bridges and tunnels crossing the Hampton Roads area of the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay.  


It’s amazing how we both can just enjoy scenery while navigating the way and not be bored, and Ed did well driving 14 hours in one day! The drive up the Eastern Shore was smooth and relaxing...

Of course, the best part of coming home was getting squeals and kisses from our Fawnie girl!

Road trip 2013: A success! Can’t wait to do another one—but first, make progress on the dissertation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment