Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Magic of Maggi

It's ten AM and what doesn't go well with researching "trustworthiness" as left-over Chinese food from the night before? Alas, I used up all those little plastic pouches of soy sauce last night-- and good old salt and pepper just doesn't seem to go well with General Tso Chicken and Lo Mein noodles. So deep into the cabinet I my arm went to search for my beloved Maggi!
This is the Dutch version of soy sauce but better! This soy sauce is pithier, has more "punch" to it (probably the massive infusion of sodium!) and finally did my Chinese hunger justice! I grew up with Maggi-- when we immigrated to Amerika one of the things we sneaked into the country was a small bottle of Maggi. It was inconceivable to eat a meal without Maggi on the table. It was used for everything! It was gently poured on macaroni and cheese, and of course, generously doused in all soups! The BBC even did a special on Maggi- the seasoning of the world!
I still love Maggi but the bottle I have came from my Dad's house. We cleared out his house in 2006, and I still have a good amount left over! Guess because I am the only one in my American family who uses Maggi, it should last a good long while-- of course, this bottle is also huge! However, I do see some grocery shopping and a new bottle of Maggi in my future. Now back to "trustworthiness"...

No comments:

Post a Comment