Friday, August 26, 2011

Heat Waves, Earthquakes & Hurricanes


I left Las Vegas when it was 111 degrees and the weather channel posted a heat advisory. That’s when you know it’s hot! The East Coast experienced a good sized earthquake on Tuesday, and now I’ve come home to prepare for a potentially large hurricane.
The last hurricane we experienced was Floyd in 1999, and that one caused us to have to replace our roof as the storm damage tore up the shingles the gutters from the house.
Today I filled up my gas tank, bought groceries, and replenished the flashlight batteries. Tomorrow I’ll put away the yard furniture and secure anything outside that could possibly fly away in the wind.
People living or vacationing along the coast have been told to evacuate low lying areas. Luckily we live on higher ground, but the ground is saturated because we’ve had a wet August and so flooding is predicted. As of right now, the weather channel predicts that we will experience the worst Saturday evening into Sunday.
I’ll try to keep you updated as we go along…

No comments:

Post a Comment