Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Collaborative Peach Pie

There’s nothing quite so American as a fresh fruit pie made with locally grown fruits. Of all the fruit pies, peach is my favorite. I’ve only ever made one peach pie, and that’s when I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest child in 1988. I remember standing at the kitchen counter with a 4 year old child, a 21 month old toddler running underfoot, and a pouty 11 year old peeling peaches. We had been invited to a neighbor’s house to enjoy their pool in what was a record breaking hot summer in Michigan! Our house was one of 3 houses in the entire development of 300 houses, with air conditioning. It was so hot that summer that people were dragging their mattresses down to their screened in porches so they could sleep where it was cooler.
On one of those very hot days and so very pregnant I made my first peach pie. It was a masterpiece! It was mounded with peaches and a latticed crust. As we walked out of the house to the car I asked my 11-year old son to carry it for me since I was afraid I’d drop it because had the baby on my hip. As he walked out the door into the garage- he tripped, and there went the pie.
I haven’t made a peach pie since--- until today .

Today’s peach pie was different because my younger son, who is a great chef, and I collaborated—I peeled and sliced the peaches, and he made the pie crust. It was the most beautiful pie ever and tasted delicious!


I like to think of today’s pie making effort as practice for making a very special peach pie when my older son comes home in September. Family togetherness deserves special efforts and great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment