Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thankgiving holiday is my favorite of all holidays. It's so completely American; takes place on the fourth Thursday of November, which also means most workers take the Friday after off. That makes for a wonderfully long holiday weekend! What makes Thanksgiving so wonderful is that it's all about the food and coming home... the point is to have a huge feast with friends and family. It doesn't involve the stress of gift giving or a round of parties to build up to the day, it's simply about having Thanksgiving dinner at home. Every person has a cooking assignment: I always make the jello salads (again, a very American thing!), and Ed has made the turkey for over 30 years! He's perfected it with our favorite oyster stuffing, and everyone in the family, including our German shepherd Fawn, loves it! Phil makes the potatoes and pumpkin pie, Sophia makes the apple pie, and Lili makes a green bean casserole. Michael makes a Southwestern corn casserole, and so on. I love to get up early and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV-- that's a memory from long ago when my Mom and I used to watch it together when I was growing up.

Of course, the day after Thanksgiving is when life changes-- the frenzied shopping begins and mall road rage reaches a peak. Some of the stores and shopping centers are opening up as early as 4 AM this year, offering special sales between opening and noon, all in an effort to draw in a crowd of shoppers. I think I'll pass on all of that and just enjoy staying at home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment