Sunday, November 28, 2010

Rediscovering Old Cookbooks and Soups



Traditionally, in our house the weekend after the Thanksgiving holiday is the weekend to decorate the house for Christmas. Decorating the house for Christmas is not an easy task. After years of collecting Christmas decorations and sorting them into plastic tubs for storage, we never seem to have what we need at the moment we need it. Up come the rubber tubs from the basement-- filled with decorations-- but they're usually the wrong ones! Usually, I find that the extensions cords that I see all over the house during the rest of the year now seem lost, and this calls for a trip to the store. Then, after hanging a green pine garland on the stair railing we find out the lights don't work, so that means it has to be taken down, and after another trip to the store we finally hang a beautful pine green garland decorated with tiny white lights and gold bows. It always takes longer to decorate the house than I think it will!

Spending time and energy decorating the house usually puts me in a domestic diva mood, so even though time was tight, I knew that hungry mouths would be asking about dinner later in the day. Even with everyone running around doing their holiday shopping, we still like to sit down as a family for dinner. However, after so much feasting this Thanksgiving holiday, it was finally time to wind down the eating and simplify... and my answer to simple eating is always a great soup.

On a whim, I reached for one of my older cookbooks looking for a soup recipe... and I found the perfect one in the Moosewood Cookbook. It was a gift from my friend Bernie in 1980. I settled on making a Broccoli Soup which made the vegetarians in the family very happy. The soup turned out well, except that the next time I would whip in the sour cream to make it a bit thicker. Cooking this soup from this cookbook brought back lots of memories... back to my "earth-mother" days and cooking everything from scratch. I remember Bernie and I cooking recipes from this cookbook and sharing our successes and failures! In then end, rediscovering the Moosewood Cookbook and broccoli soup reminds me that rediscovered things from the past can become a new tradition in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment