Sunday, August 8, 2010

Frenzied Reading


My daughters (and my son) are impressive readers! they have read War and Peace, Anna Karenina, or Pride and Prejudice...all those impressive books I have not read. I read shorter works because I don't have the attention span or the discipline to read those tomes. I tend to be an obsessive-compulsive reader-- when I begin a book it's hard for me to stop reading until it's done. Reading a book interferes with my life because I stop doing what I should be doing, and simply read and read and read... it's as though I can't go on with my normal life until I've finished the book! That's why I'm enjoying Eat, Pray, Love because the author is also obsessive-compulsive like me, but she's taken a year out of her life to travel and find herself. Right now I'm on the part where she's in the Ashram in India-- a community of yoga practitioners who meditate, perform selfless service, and experience getting to know themselves. Having just started yoga as a form of exercise, I can only imagine what that experience must be like. Some people can savor a book and make it last longer. It provides that escape into another world. I can't-- my reading style tends to be to devour a book, to consume it until it is over and done. Perhaps someday I'll develop the discipline to go more slowly and relish the tale... but for now, I am driven to a frenzy to read, read, read!

No comments:

Post a Comment