Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Different Way of Reading...

Almost finished with Hemingway's Farewell to Arms... "reading" an audio book has been my salvation to continuing walking as my daily exercise routine. After 20+ years of walking the same streets, roads, paths, etc-- I've run out of new and different places to walk. Last year I began to understand what those poor little experimental rodents walking in their circular wire cages must have felt like! I quit walking and how quickly a few pounds crept into this body!!! I needed enthusiasm, and I required support because my will was lacking. Not that I have much more of those right now, but at least looking forward to the next chapter provides some incentive! This old classic book, (the version read by John Slattery) has made walking worthwhile-- as the story is set in a simpler time-- WWI. It's a classic story line-- soldier gets injured, meets English nurse, falls in love, and they run away together. Even though the story line is not unusual (after all, wasn't it Aristotle who said there were really only 7 storylines in the human condition?)it's the details in the descriptions of scenes and characters that carry the reader along. There is no such thing as rushing through this book to get to the bottom line-- it's one to be savored and reflected upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment