Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Poffertjes (Dollar Sized Pancakes)



One of the most wonderful things about Rotterdam is eating poffertjes in the poffertjes tent aan de Hoogstraat. Situated right in the center of Rotterdam's shopping district, eating poffertjes has been a tradition that I used to engage in with my Uncle Willem, with whom I used to go to the market and then eat poffertjes. He was an artist and lover of antiques. He taught me how to look for authenticity and detect the fakes from the real antieks. Uncle Willem was an artist, and lover of all things that had stories about people in them. Now, eating poffertjes is my commorative practice that makes me think of him and remember those times. Although I go to a different poffertjes tent, every time I do go, I toast my cup of coffee to him and eat poffertjes to sustain me until my next trip. I guess you could say it's my personal tradition to remember members of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment